Algebra Problem

Date: 8/7/96 at 9:19:29
From: Anonymous
Subject: Algebra

I am stuck! Please help me!

	2t-12t+18=0

Date: 8/7/96 at 9:41:43
From: Doctor Patrick
Subject: Re: Algebra

Hi!

To solve  2t-12t+18 = 0 let's first combine the like terms so that we
have less to deal with.  While we can't add or subtract anything to
the 18 yet, we can subtract the 12t from the 2t.  Do you understand
why we can do this?

Subtracting 12t from 2t gives us 2t-12t = -10t, right?

So now our problem is -10t+18 = 0.  The next step is to get the
variable (t) alone on one side of the equation so that we can solve
for it.  If we add 8t to both sides we get 8t -10t +18 = 0 +10t.  When
we simplify this we get 18 = 8t.  Do you see how we got this?

Now let's solve for t.  We know that 18 = 10t, so let's divide both
sides of the problem by 10 so we can get the t alone on one side of
the problem. 18/10 = 10t/10.

When we do the division we get 18/10 = 1.8 and 10t/10 = t. This makes
our expression 1.8 = t.  We know know the value for t, so the problem
is solved.

-Doctor Patrick,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra