Addition Property of Inequalities

Date: 8/29/96 at 20:59:13
From: Anonymous
Subject: Addition Property of Inequalities

If x>y, then x+z  __?__  y+z

Date: 8/29/96 at 22:23:49
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Addition Property of Inequalities

Hi there!  Let's look at this problem using a number instead of z.
Then I think it will be easier.

We know that x > y.

If we add any number to x, a the same number to y, what will happen?

x + 3 > y + 3

x + 0 > y + 0

We can add positive or negative numbers or zero to each side without
changing the inequality.  Does that make sense?

Write back if you need more help!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra