Train Overtaking Another Train

Date: 10/19/96 at 18:27:27
From: Paul Rich
Subject: Train Overtakes Other Train

A freight train leaves a station at 4:00 p.m. traveling at 30 m.p.h.
A passenger train leaves 1 hour later traveling at 50 m.p.h.  At what
time will the passenger train overtake the freight train?

Thank you,

Paul

Date: 10/20/96 at 11:10:51
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Train Overtakes Other Train

Let t = time that freight train travels
  t-1 = time that passenger train travels

They cover the same distance, and using dist = speed x time we have

      50(t-1) = 30t
     50t - 50 = 30t
          20t = 50
            t = 5/2