Quadratic Formula, Distributive Property

Date: 06/02/97 at 13:09:42
From: Domous
Subject: What is so special about the quadratic formula?

I would like to know if the quadratic formula is as important as the
distributive property for solving equations.

I would also like to know who invented it. Does Descartes have
anything to do with this?

Date: 06/02/97 at 14:01:41
From: Doctor Wilkinson
Subject: Re: What is so special about the quadratic formula?

It is hard to compare the importance of the distributive property and
the quadratic formula.  The distributive property is used in all kinds
of equations, not just quadratic equations, so in that sense it is
more important.

It is also a little hard to say who invented the quadratic formula.
The ancient Bablyonians knew how to solve quadratic equations, but
they did not really have a formula; they just had a method.

The earliest mathematician to have something like the quadratic
formula was probably Brahmagupta, in 7th-century India.  But it is
unlikely that his work was known to European mathematicians before the
nineteenth century. The Arab mathematician Al-Khwarizm appears to have
known the quadratic formula in the 11th century, and in his case we
know that European mathematicians were familiar with his work.

By the time of Descartes the formula was very well known. In fact, by
that time formulas for solving cubic and quartic equations had been
discovered by the Italian mathematicans Tartaglia and Cardano.

-Doctor Wilkinson,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra
Middle School History/Biography