Thirds of Seven

Date: 07/24/97 at 19:45:42
From: Samantha Tu
Subject: Gre

Hello,

I have a question. Number seven is equal to how many thirds of seven?

a)1/3 b) 1 c) 3 d) 7 e) 21

I thought the answer would be 21 but they had 3.

Date: 07/25/97 at 12:51:57
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Gre

One third of seven would be 7/3.  What is asked is to find x such
that x*(7/3) = 7, and the answer is 3.

What you solved is y*(1/3) = 7, whose answer is 21.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra