Evaluating an Expression

Date: 03/28/2001 at 18:50:05
From: Bob
Subject: Hands-on Equations

How do you solve an equation like: if x = 6, evaluate 2x+3*+4 = ?

That may not be possible because it isn't the problem I am looking at.
I just don't know how to do this kind of problem. I can figure out
what x or star is, but I don't know how to "evaluate."

Date: 03/29/2001 at 12:50:21
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Hands-on Equations

Hi, Bob.

The key is to know what "evaluate" means: it means to find the value
of an expression. In other words, you simply replace the variable with
its value, and then do what the expression says to do. (Incidentally,
what you're doing here is NOT "solving an equation"; that's what
you do when you are given an equation, such as 2x + 4 = 3, and asked
to find what x is. Here you are "evaluating an expression," which is
almost the opposite.)

In your example, I'm going to suppose that the asterisk should have
been an x, since you seem to be thinking of it as a variable, but you
haven't given it a value. We can only evaluate an expression when we
know the values of all the variables.

Let's evaluate:

     2x + 3x + 4

To do this, with x = 6, you just replace x with 6. You can actually
write this out, if you want; I recommend using parentheses around the
value, because in some problems you'll see later that can save a lot
of confusion:

     2(6) + 3(6) + 4

Now do what it says. First multiply 2 by 6 and 3 by 6:

     12 + 18 + 4

Now add:

     34

That's the value of your expression when x is 6. If you're not
familiar with the order in which you should add and multiply here, see
our FAQ on Order of Operations at:

   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.order.operations.html

There's one other important thing you can do with an expression:
simplify it. That means that you don't know the values of the
variables, but you want to make it easier to evaluate when you do -
sort of predigesting the expression. In this example, you have two
multiples of x (I deliberately made it that way), so we can combine
them using the "distributive property," which just says that 2 of
something and 3 of the same thing is the same as 5 of them:

       2x + 3x + 4
     = (2 + 3)x + 4
     = 5x + 4

Now when we evaluate it, we have less work to do; 5 times 6 is 30,
plus 4 is 34. That's why we call this simplifying.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Middle School Algebra