History of Multiplication

Date: 4/18/96 at 2:9:46
From: Anonymous
Subject: Russian Peasant algorithm

My 7th grade math students are studying multiplication and solving
simple algebraic equations such as 3x = 12.  I thought it would be
interesting if they found how other cultures did multiplication in
earlier time periods.  They were to research a given culture and
time period and learn how to multiply 367 x 94.  I know how to
explain this to them, but we are having trouble finding past
history for them to look at so they can give a brief history of
this algorithm.  Can you help?

Date: 4/20/96 at 19:13:42
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Russian Peasant algorithm

Hello!

I know of two good sources for mathematics from different
cultures. The first is called "The Crest of the Peacock," by
George Gheverghese Joseph, which is a book about the Non-European
roots of mathematics.

The second is a more extensive treatment of mathematical history,
called "Mathematical Thought from Ancient to Modern Times," by
Morris Kline.

Hope this helps!

-Doctor Ken,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics: