History of Probability

Date: 04/07/97 at 21:44:45
From: Patty Liao
Subject: Probability's history

Who first researched probability?  I haven't really found
anything on it. Any other historical facts about probability?
It's for a report for a project.

Date: 04/08/97 at 09:34:26
From: Doctor Statman
Subject: Re: Probability's history

Dear Patty,

In about 1654 Blaise Pascal started to investigate the
chances of getting different values for rolls of dice,
and his discussions with Pierre de Fermat are usually
considered the beginning of the study of probability.

I think if you look up these two famous mathematicians you
will be on the right track.

Good luck!

-Doctor Statman,  The Math Forum

Middle School History/Biography