Intersection of Circles

Date: 10/08/98 at 08:44:42
From: Stephen Legg
Subject: Intersection of circles

I have been given a geometry problem, and do not understand the term
intersection. I have looked in the FAQ section, and cannot find
anything, and the dictionary states that it is the point where two
lines meet. Is this correct?

Date: 10/08/98 at 12:39:16
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Intersection of circles

Hi, Stephen,

Yes, that's correct. Draw one circle. Then draw another circle
that overlaps the first one. There will be two places where the
circles cross; those are the two points of intersection of the
circles. If the two circles don't overlap, there are no points of
intersection, and if they just barely touch (we say they are tangent),
there is only one point.

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Elementary Circles
Elementary Definitions