How to Average

Date: 9/12/96 at 10:44:10
From: Anonymous
Subject: How to Average

I'm stuck on how to do averages.  What is the average mass of 11.935g,
11.936g, 11.937g and 11.938g?  Also, show calculations when averaging
20mL, 21 mL, and 22mL.  What is the formula for averaging?  Thanks,
Dr. Math!

Date: 9/12/96 at 12:19:35
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: How to Average

To average any set of data, you add up all of the data and then divide
by the number of elements that there are.

For example, to answer your first question, you would add
11.935 + 11.936 + 11.937 + 11.938 to get 47.746. You would then divide
by 4 (because we added four numbers). The average of these numbers is

Try your second set of numbers. It involves the exact same process.

Thanks for your question!

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum
Middle School Statistics