Simple Equation

Date: 808867537
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 1995 00:30:44 +0300
From: Frida Josep

2*2+24x=23+1-11

Date: 808942239
From: Doctor Ken

Hello!

I assume the goal in this problem is to figure out what x is?  Well, to
do this kind of problem, you can tackle a little piece at a time.  The
first thing I'd do is take that 2*2 on the left side and make it a 4,
since 2*2 = 4.  So that gives us
4 + 24x = 23 + 1 - 11

Then I'd take the right side of the equation and simplify it.  Since
23 + 1 is 24, and 24 - 11 is 13, we have
4 + 24x = 13.

Now we can subtract 4 from both sides of the equation, and we get
24x = 13 - 4, and since 13 - 4 is 9, we have
24x = 9.

Now we can divide both sides by 24, and that gives us
 x = 9/24, and since 9/24 is better known as 3/8, our final solution is
 x = 3/8.

I hope you could follow these steps, and if you couldn't, you can write
back and we'll try to help you out.

-Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Equations