Solving an Equation in One Variable

Date: 12/30/95 at 15:48:12
From: Anonymous
Subject: Solving Equations

Hi there,

I am reviewing for a test coming up.  I need you to go step by step
with me so I don't miss anything.

         2(x+4) - 1= 3 + 4(x-1)

I have tried to get this question right, but the signs and the numbers
keep fooling me.

Thanks, Dr. Math

- Dave Amouzouvi
Grade 9 Math student in need of desperate help!

Date: 1/4/96 at 11:21:2
From: Doctor Elise
Subject: Re: Solving Equations

Hi!

I hope this isn't too late for your test or that it will help with
the next one.

If you're having trouble keeping track of your pluses and minuses,
the best way to approach these problems is to write EVERY step
(and do it really neatly) right underneath the previous one, and
don't skip steps or take shortcuts.  I had a professor who used to
offer us a  "box full of minus signs" - all the minus signs that had
been dropped from his equations and tests over the years.
Everybody does this!

Anyhow:

2(x + 4) - 1 = 3 + 4(x - 1)  Here's the original problem.

 2x + 8  - 1 = 3 +  4x - 4   First, I multiply everything out.

 2x + 7      = 4x - 1        Next I simplify by adding or subtracting
                             the numbers without "x" terms in them

 2x + 7 - 4x = 4x - 1 - 4x   Since I can do anything I want to this
                             equation as long as I do the same thing to
                             both sides, I subtract 4x from each side in
                             order to move the "x" terms to the same
                             side of the equation and add them.

-2x + 7      = -1            Here I've simplified the "x" terms

-2x + 7 - 7  = -1 -7         Now I subtract 7 from each side to move
the
                             remaining numbers without "x" terms to the
                             same side of the equation and add them
                             together.

-2x          = -8            Of course, I always end up doing this
                             backwards so that everything is negative!
                             It's just as legal an approach, but not as
                             tidy.

 2x          = 8             I multiplied each side by -1 to get rid of
                             the minus signs.

  x          = 4             I divided each side by 2 to solve for "x".

Ta Da!

-Doctor Elise,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Equations