Cylinder Volume

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 96 17:44 PDT
From: Alvin Richter
Subject: Volume of a cylinder

Hi Dr. Math,

I knew the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder when I
graduated from college 45 years ago but now it eludes me. I can't
seem to find it in all the places it should be. Not much of a math
problem, but can you help me? I really do need to find the volume
of a cylinder after all these years.

Alvin Richter

Date: Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:30:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dr. Paul
Subject: Re: Volume of a cylinder

I am assuming you're talking about the volume of a cylinder that
resembles a soda can. That is, one where the height is
perpendicular to a circular base. The volume is the area of the base
times the height, or

Pi * r^2 * h

Pi is the mathmatical constant approximately equal to 3.141592654
r is the radius of the base
h is the height of the cylinder.

-Doctor Paul, The Math Forum

Sun, 30 Jun 1996 21:36:36 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dr. Moskowitz

Hi, Alvin Richter!

You probably remember that the volume of a cube is just its
(length) times (width) times (height), which is the same as if you
found the area of its base (length x width) and multiplied that by
the height.

Cylinders work similarly: find the area of the base, then multiply
by the height. Since the base of a cylinder is a circle, first you find
this area (pi*r*r), where r is the radius of the cylinder, then
multiply that by the height. Or to be succinct: (area of a cylinder) =
pi*r*r*h

You might like to know about an encyclopedic resource of math
equations, definitions, and background information: Eric's
Treasure Trove, at

http://www.astro.virginia.edu/~eww6n/math/math.html

"Ask Dr. Math" says, check it out!

-Doctor Moskowitz, The Math Forum