Pythagorean Theorem

Date: 19 Jul 1995 11:50:40 -0400
From: Anonymous
Subject: Geometry

From: Ricky Chung

Question: How come A squared + B squared = C squared ?

Date: 25 Jul 1995 09:25:28 -0400
From: Dr. Ethan
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hey Ricky,

Well, A^2 + B^2 = C^2 is only true if we know what a, b, and c stand
for.  This formula refers to a, b, and c being the sides of a right
triangle.  If that is true, then the sum of the squares of the length
of the sides of the legs of the triangle is equal to the square of
the hypotenuse.  That probably didn't make sense so I will try a

        | \
        |  \
        |   \C
       A|    \
        |     \
        |      \

In this example, since this a right triangle, A^2 + B^2 = C^2

This important result is called the Pythagorean Theorem.

If you would like to see a better drawing of this and you have access
to a graphical Web browser, write to me and I will post a picture for you.

Hope This Helps.

Ethan Doctor On Call
Associated Topics:
Middle School Geometry