Trisecting Angles

Date:  Tue, 30 May 1995 15:34:19 EST
From: "GOD!"
Subject: angles

Please tell me how to trisect any angle.

Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 16:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: angles

Hello there!

Well, I bet you're referring to the trisection of an angle using only a
compass and straight edge, right?  Well, I'm afraid it can't be done, and
that's a proven mathematical fact.  You can bisect all you want, but try to
trisect a general angle, and you'll usually be out of luck (you can do it in
a few special cases, like 90 or 135 degrees and stuff).

The proof is pretty involved, but if you'd like to know more about it, let
us know.

-K

Associated Topics:
Middle School Geometry