The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Rectangular Prism

Date: 9/10/95 at 20:20:44
From: Jeffrey H Dresner
Subject: Geometry term

A 3 dimensional square (with 6 sides of equal area) is called a cube. Is 
there a term for a 3 dimensional rectangle, i.e., box??  Thanks.

Jeffrey H Dresner

Date: 9/13/95 at 14:51:38
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: Geometry term

Yes, it is called a rectangular prism.
I guess box is a pretty good name too, but rectangular prism 
is the standard one.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Higher-Dimensional Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.