Area and Perimeter

Date: 10/4/95 at 11:40:20
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 09:45:17 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Michael E. Kallsen"
Subject: help!!!!!

Dear Dr. Math,

Hi.  My name is Michael Kallsen and I am currently a seventh
grade student at Brentwood middle school. I have written to you to
ask about a problem I have with finding area and perimeter. I just
can't seem to do it, can you help me?

						Sincerely,
  						Michael E. Kallsen
						Brentwood middle school

Date: 10/5/95 at 1:3:1
From: Doctor Andrew
Subject: Re: help!!!!!

We'd be glad to help you with any particular problem you have.
Perimeter is the sum of the lengths of the sides of a shape.  You
can think of this as the length of the piece of string you would
need to make that shape.  The area of a shape can be thought of as
the number of squares it would cover if you put it on a piece of
graph paper.  It could cover fractions of squares; the squares
don't all have to fit perfectly inside it.

If I were you, I'd look for as many examples in my textbook as I
could find.  If you are having trouble with a homework problem,
feel free to ask us for help.

Good luck!

- Doctor Andrew,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics: