Units Crossed by a Line Segment

Date: 2/2/96 at 15:22:52
From: Anonymous
Subject: Patterns in graphs

I got this problem at school.  I've tried everything I can think
of, and I just can't get it:

If you connect (0,0) to (5,3) with a line segment, it goes
through seven unit squares.  If you connect (0,0) to (p,q)
where p and q are positive whole numbers, how many squares
do you go through?

Date: 7/1/96 at 19:50:6
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Patterns in graphs

Hi there!  Since it seems like you like problems, let me give
you a hint towards solving this one.  The answer has to do
with a right triangle and the Pythagorean theorem.  Can you
figure it out from here?

Be sure to write us if you need more help!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Geometry