Cutting a Circle out of a Square

Date: 2/14/96 at 19:23:37
From: Anonymous
Subject: Finding the area of a circle.

I don't know how to solve this problem.

What is the area (to the nearest square centimeter) of the largest
circle that can be cut from a square piece of sheet metal 73cm.
on each side?  Explain how you determined this.

I don't know how to solve this problem. How could you figure
out the radius to find out the area?  How do you figure out the
circle?

Date: 2/16/96 at 15:21:5
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Finding the area of a circle.

Hello!

I've drawn a picture of this problem:

    .

The basic idea is this: the radius of the circle is just half the length
of one side of the square.  So since the length of each side of the
square is 73 cm, the radius of the circle will be 73/2 = 36.5 cm.
Then you can use the formula for the area of a circle:
Area = Pi x r^2, where Pi is about 3.141, and r^2 is the radius
squared.

Good luck!

-Doctor Ken,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics: