Perimeter of Two Similar Objects

Date: 2/16/96 at 13:27:5
From: Anonymous
Subject: Rectangle vs. square area and perimeter

Why do you lose area in a 4 X 12 rectangle as compared to an 8 X 8
square?  Each has the same perimeter. Thanks.

Date: 3/16/96 at 2:58:53
From: Doctor Jodi

Hi! What a cool question you've asked us.  For the example you give,
what I would do would be to draw two rectangles of those
dimensions.  Then I would mark out 4X4 squares in each.  (I would
draw this on screen, but it's really much easier on paper...)

How many do you get in the 4 X 12 rectangle?  How many in the 8 X
8?  Any conclusions?

Write back if you have more questions.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics: