Area of a Parallelogram

Date: 5/28/96 at 21:8:52
From: Steven Kissell
Subject: Area of a Parallelogram

I don't understand how to find the area of a parallelogram!

Date: 6/21/96 at 16:17:9
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: Area of a Parallelogram

Steven,

The formula for the area of a parallelogram is base times height.  The
base of the parallelogram can be taken to be any side (although it is
traditionally considered to be the side that is on the bottom of the
parallelogram.)  The height is the length of a line going from the
base at a right angle to the opposite side.

Thanks for the question - I hope you understand it better now.

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

Middle School Geometry