Real World Polyhedra

Date: 6/4/96 at 17:3:37
From: Olive Kwok
Subject: Practical Polyhedra

Hello!  I'm wondering if you can give me some information about the
practical use of polyhedra.

Thank you for your time.

Date: 6/12/96 at 17:29:52
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Practical Polyhedra

Hello there!

You probably use polyhedra every day in shapes like the cube and
rectangular prism.  Crystals (like quartz) are also in the shape of
polyhedra.  And believe it or not, salt crystals, which you eat, are
in the shape of a cube. Did you know that a soccer ball is also a
polyhedron?

If you have access to the WWW, check out the Pavilion of Polyhedrality
at

  http://www.li.net/~george/pavilion.html

Another great polyhedra page is at

  http://www.teleport.com/~tpgettys/poly.shtml

Learn how to make polyhedra at

  http://mathforum.org/sum95/math_and/poly/polyhedra.html

I hope this helps--let us know if you have more specific questions.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Geometry
Middle School Polyhedra