The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Enclosed Curve

Date: 9/9/96 at 11:44:21
From: Susan Cronin
Subject: Enclosed Curve

What is the name for an enclosed figure of all curved sides that has 
an irregular shape - not a circle, oval, tube, etc. Do you know? 

Susan Cronin

Date: 10/7/96 at 1:48:58
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Enclosed Curve

Hi Susan,

Perhaps what you are looking for is the phrase "Simple Closed Curve."  
This includes very irregular enclosing shapes, but it also applies to 
circles, ellipses, and rectangles, too.
I hope this helps.  

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Conic Sections/Circles
Middle School Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.