Reflecting a Triangle

Date: 9/14/96 at 18:45:38
From: Anonymous
Subject: Name of Reflected Triangle

This is a question I heard when participating in a state quick recall
math competition, and there was controversy involved. I want to
see what you come up with:

A right triangle is reflected about its hypotenuse.  What is the new
geometric figure that is formed?

Date: 9/14/96 at 21:12:33
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Name of Reflected Triangle

I believe that it would be a quadrilateral that we call a kite.  Two
pairs of adjacent sides are congruent.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

Date: 9/14/96 at 21:27:19
From: gregory

Dr. Math, thank you for responding so quickly to my question!

Associated Topics:
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry