Cube Edges

Date: 04/01/97 at 21:26:24
From: Tyler Hope
Subject: Cube Edges

How many edges does a cube have? My dad says that there are six edges
on a cube, but I think there are twelve edges. I know that a cube has
six sides,  but edges and sides are not the same.

Date: 04/02/97 at 00:19:42
From: Doctor Steven
Subject: Re: Cube Edges

There are 8 vertices on a cube, and 6 faces, so there are 12 edges or
lines connecting one vertex to another, on a cube.

There are eight vertices because you have one square on the bottom
and another square above it and you connect the two squares with edges
to form a cube.  Note that the bottom and top squares both have four
edges, so to connect the squares you must add four more, one at each
of the corners. This makes 12 edges in total.

The top and bottom squares make two faces and when you add the four
new lines you add 4 more faces, for a total of 6 faces.

Hope this helps.

-Doctor Steven,  The Math Forum

Date: 04/16/97 at 00:19:42
From: Doctor Chuck

It is often hard to see these problems in your mind. Whenever I
have trouble visualizing a three-dimensional object, I find that the
best thing I can do is grab some play-dough or clay and MAKE the
object so that I can poke and prod at it.

So, a good way to solve your problem is to find a box (like a shoebox
or a cereal box, which is a stretched cube), take a marker pen, and
number each of the edges. The beauty of this is that you don't just
convince yourself that a box (like a cube) has 12 edges, you also can
show this box to your father and convince him, too.

-Doctor Chuck,  The Math Forum

Middle School Geometry
Middle School Polyhedra