The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 08/30/97 at 17:15:57
From: Pastor Negrón
Subject: Geometry

I need to know the definition of baricenter and also how to find it. 

I just  found the word. I tried to find the definition in other 
geometry books, but I did not find it. I am a math teacher and this 
is the first time that I have seen the word.

Date: 09/04/97 at 16:41:38
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Geometry

The correct spelling is "barycenter". 

The definition of the barycenter of a geometric figure is the "center 
of gravity." If the figure were cut out of a thin sheet of material of 
small but not infinitesimal thickness and uniform weight, the 
barycenter would be the center of gravity of the cutout.  It is the 
point at which the figure would balance if supported at that point 

For a triangle, the barycenter is the intersection point of the 
medians of the triangle.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Conic Sections/Circles
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.