Barycenter

Date: 08/30/97 at 17:15:57
From: Pastor Negrón
Subject: Geometry

I need to know the definition of baricenter and also how to find it.

I just  found the word. I tried to find the definition in other
geometry books, but I did not find it. I am a math teacher and this
is the first time that I have seen the word.

Date: 09/04/97 at 16:41:38
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: Geometry

The correct spelling is "barycenter".

The definition of the barycenter of a geometric figure is the "center
of gravity." If the figure were cut out of a thin sheet of material of
small but not infinitesimal thickness and uniform weight, the
barycenter would be the center of gravity of the cutout.  It is the
point at which the figure would balance if supported at that point
only.

For a triangle, the barycenter is the intersection point of the
medians of the triangle.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Middle School Conic Sections/Circles
Middle School Definitions