Complementary and Supplementary Angles

Date: 10/24/1999 at 12:44:55
From: S.M.ABDULLAH AURANGZEB
Subject: Complementary and Supplementary Angles

Complementary angles: I have defined complementary as "if the sums of
two angles is 90 degrees, or a right angle, then they are called
complementary angles." Is this right?

Supplementary angle: "if the sum of two angles is 180 degrees, or a
straight angle, they are called supplementary angles." Is this right?

Date: 10/24/1999 at 14:11:14
From: Doctor White
Subject: Re: Complementary and Supplementary Angles

S.M. -

Your definitions are correct.

Complementary angles are two angles whose sum equals 90 degrees.

  Example:

    30 degrees and 60 degrees are complementary (30 + 60 = 90)

Supplementary angles are two angles whose sum equals 180 degrees.

  Example:

    125 degrees and 55 degrees are supplementary (125 + 55 = 180)

- Doctor White, The Math Forum

Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry