Why Study Tangrams?

Date: 10/27/1999 at 09:49:48
From: Karen Chandler
Subject: Geometry

How can a person use tangrams in the real world? I mean, what uses in
the professional system could a person use tangrams?

Date: 10/27/1999 at 12:25:13
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hi, Karen.

We get lots of questions about how you'll ever use algebra or geometry
or something, but in this case I can happily answer that tangrams are
just a game.

So why would a teacher bother to play such a game with you? For that
matter, why do they teach you baseball or tennis? True, there are no
professional tangram leagues, but few of us will ever play even those
games professionally. We play games like these because they can help
us develop various skills - how to visualize shapes, which can be
useful in putting anything together, or in designing products; how to
solve a problem by trying different possibilities in an orderly way;
and so on.

Maybe you can think of more skills to practice with tangrams.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Middle School Geometry
Middle School Two-Dimensional Geometry