The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Defining the Term Oblong

Date: 05/15/2000 at 08:21:07
From: Daniel Copley
Subject: Oblong

Can you give a definition of the term "oblong"? Is it a rectangle 
whose sides are not equal? That is, "rectangle" being a generic term 
for a quadrilateral with four right angles, subdivided into:

   (1) squares: equal-sided rectangles, and
   (2) oblongs: non-equal-sided rectangles?

Date: 05/15/2000 at 12:11:19
From: Doctor Douglas
Subject: Re: Oblong

Hi Daniel,

Yes, I use the term "oblong" to mean a rectangle that has one pair of 
parallel sides longer than the other pair. The dictionary says that 
the shape is not necessarily rectangular (e.g. a sphere or circle can 
be stretched along one direction), but I have only rarely heard it 
used for shapes other than rectangles.

- Doctor Douglas, The Math Forum   
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Geometry
Elementary Triangles and Other Polygons
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Triangles and Other Polygons

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.