Names of Triangles and Angles

Date: 07/25/2001 at 11:19:59
From: Aaron
Subject: Names of Triangles and Angles

Dear Doctor Math,

My teacher told me to find names of triangles other than equilateral
and isosceles. What more can I find?

Date: 07/25/2001 at 12:15:16
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Names of Triangles and Angles

Hi, Aaron.

In terms of the sides of a triangle, there are three cases:

    Equilateral: all three sides equal
    Isosceles: (at least) two sides equal
    Scalene: no sides equal

In terms of the angles, there are also three cases:

    Right: one right angle, two acute
    Acute: three acute angles
    Obtuse: one obtuse, two acute angles

Can you see why there are no other possibilities?

You can find four of these six types of triangles illustrated in our
FAQ on Formulas:

    http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/formulas/faq.triangle.html

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Middle School Geometry