Adjacent Angles

Date: 09/19/2001 at 21:51:44
From: Dave
Subject: Geometry definitions

I appreciate your answering my question. The question says to define
"adjacent angles."  We're learning about linear pairs in my class and
I think it has something to do with those.

Date: 09/20/2001 at 13:11:41
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Geometry definitions

Hi Dave - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Adjacent angles are angles that share a vertex and a common side
between them, but have no interior points in common. In the diagram
shown below, angles ADB and BDC are adjacent angles.

        A       B       C
         \      |      /
          \     |     /
           \    |    /
            \   |   /
             \  |  /
              \ | /
               \|/

For more discussion see Pat Ballew's Math Words, and Some Other Words,
of Interest:

   http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/1861/arithme6.html#adjacent

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum

Elementary Definitions