The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math


Date: 01/19/2002 at 15:37:20
From: Michelle
Subject: Truncating

What does truncating mean?

Date: 01/19/2002 at 18:02:49
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: truncating

Hi, Michelle.

To truncate a number at the hundredths place would mean to drop the 
digits to the right of the hundredths place. This is the same as 
rounding down to the nearest hundredth, unless the number is negative, 
in which case it is the same as rounding up. 

On the other hand, you can truncate a polyhedron by cutting off its 
corners; a "soccer ball" is a truncated icosahedron. In general, you 
can see that the meaning is "to cut off." It is related to the "trunk" 
of a tree, which is what you get if you cut off the branches.

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum   

Date: 01/20/2002 at 12:30:09
From: Michelle
Subject: Truncating

Thank You Dr. Math. I appreciate the answer. I think it will help.
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Geometry
Elementary Place Value
Elementary Polyhedra
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Geometry
Middle School Polyhedra

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.