Multiplying Decimals by Negatives

Date: 03/18/2002 at 21:25:47
From: Miki
Subject: How to multiply decimals by negatives

How do you multiply negatives by decimals? I can't find decimals on my
calculator. My exact problem is .56 times -50. Is there even an
answer?

Date: 03/19/2002 at 09:43:17
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: How to multiply decimals by negatives

Hi, Miki.

Do you know how to multiply 56 by -50? You multiply 56 by 50, then
give the answer a negative sign because the signs of the two factors
are different. If the signs were the same (either both positive or
both negative), the product would be positive.

  56 * 50 = 2800
  56 * -50 = -2800

Do you know how to multiply 0.56 by 50? First multiply 56 by 50, then
move the decimal point two places to the left, because that's what you
do to change 56 to 0.56. If both factors had digits to the right of
the decimal point, you'd move the decimal point of the product to the
left as many places as there were digits to the right of the decimal
points in the two factors combined.

  56 * 50 = 2800
  0.56 * 50 = 28.00

We can do both at once. To multiply 0.56 by -50, you first multiply 56
by 50. Then you put a negative sign on the product, AND you move the
decimal point two places to the left.

  56 * 50 = 2800
  0.56 * -50 = -28.00

Now, about the calculator. I have never seen a calculator (unless it
was one we made in a programming class) that did not have a decimal
point. Just enter

  . 5 6

The negative number may be tricky. Many computers don't let you enter

  - 5 0

in that order to enter a negative number. Instead you have to enter

  5 0 +/-

That +/- is a single key that changes the sign of the number in the
display. After you press it, the display will read -50. Thus the
complete calculation is entered as

  . 5 6 * 5 0 +/- =

on most calculators I have seen. (* is the multiplication sign.)

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions
Middle School Fractions
Middle School Negative Numbers