Matching Pairs of Socks

Date: 11/1/95 at 22:35:9
From: Anonymous
Subject: homework, Puzzle Of The Week

Your feet are cold. You don't want to wake up the baby who is
sleeping in your room so you leave the lights off.

In your sock drawer, you have 10 blue socks, 12 white socks, and 6
redsocks that are all mixed together.  It is dark and you can't
see the colors of your socks.

What is the least number of socks that you have to pull out to
make sure that you have a matching pair?

I'm stuck.  I tried doing it my head but I am stuck on how you can
tell that you have a matching pair.

Date: 11/2/95 at 14:58:25
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: homework, Puzzle Of The Week

Well, I will give you a hint and then you can take it from there.

If you only get one sock can you have a pair?

If you get two socks you might have a pair but you might not.

If you get three you probably will but in a worst case scenario
you might have one of each color.

What happens when you get four or five??

Good luck; if this hint wasn't enough then write back for more
help.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Puzzles