Pyramid Problem

Date: 9/1/96 at 12:14:1
From: Anonymous
Subject: Pyramid Problem

Okay, I have a problem that I have worked on all day long.  The
problem is as follows:  You have a pyramid (1 circle on the top layer,
2 on the second, 3 on the third and 4 on the fourth) and you can only
move three circles (to make it the same way but upside down).  I have
only figured it out by moving four.  I hope you can help me.

Carly Guidry

Date: 9/1/96 at 13:23:52
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Pyramid Problem

Hi Carly!

The problem looks something like this, right?

From

             *
             **
             ***
             ****

How do you get to

              ****
              ***
              **
              *

Hint:  move the three &'s

              &
              **
              ***
              **&&

Let me know if you need more help. Good luck!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Elementary Puzzles
Middle School Puzzles