Send More Money

Date: 05/12/97 at 17:23:48
From: Shay
Subject: Send more money

          SEND
        + MORE
        ------
         MONEY

Hint:

          SEND
        + MOR5
        ------
         10N5Y

Each letter represents a digit. If one letter is a certain number
then all those letters equal that number. What are the values of each
letter?

Date: 05/16/97 at 18:32:20
From: Doctor Spunk
Subject: Re: Send more money

I'm assuming that each digit (0-9) can be represented by only one of
the letters. From what you have given, right now we have:

         SEND
        +MOR5
        -----
        10N5Y

Since M = 1, O = 0, and E = 5, that simplifies things a bit. (One
could figure this out without your hint, but it would be a little more
complicated.)

S must = 9 because of its location and the final answer is in the ten
thousands.

Now we have:

         95ND
        +10R5
        -----
        10N5Y

Now to solve for N. In the hundreds position, 5+0 = N and we know
E = 5. There must be a carryover from the tens position, so N = 6.

Using the same sort of logic, R = 8.

The result so far is:

         956D
        +1085
        ------
        1065Y

Now for D.  D could be any integer from 0-9. It can't be 1,5,6,8,9,0
because they have been used. It can possibly be 2,3,4,7.

We reason that D is greater than 5 because the tens column needs a
carryover, therefore D = 7, which means Y = 2.

-Doctor Spunk,  The Math Forum

Middle School Puzzles