Ratio and Proportion

Date: 7/4/96 at 19:21:20
From: Anonymous
Subject: Ratio and Proportion

Six men can complete a piece of work in one day while 5 boys would
take 2 days to complete the same piece of job. 44 men can build a
tower in 5 days; how long will 40 men and 80 boys take to build the
tower?

Date: 7/5/96 at 8:37:52
From: Doctor Anthony
Subject: Re: Ratio and Proportion

From the first statement, 3 men would take 2 days to do the job.  It
follows that 5 boys are equivalent to 3 men.  Since we have 80 boys
building the tower, these boys are equivalent to (3/5)*80 = 48 men.
So the total workforce on the tower is equivalent to 40+48 = 88 men

If 44 men take 5 days, then 88 men would take 5/2 =  2 +1/2 days.

-Doctor Anthony,  The Math Forum

Middle School Ratio and Proportion
Middle School Word Problems