Currency Exchange Rates

Date: 01/02/99 at 00:12:44
From: Millie
Subject: Money

Do you know how much half a crown, a crown, and a shilling are worth
in American money?

Date: 01/02/99 at 12:19:30
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Money

Hi, Millie, welcome to Ask Dr. Math!

There are two things we need to know to answer this question.

The first question is, how are crowns and shillings related to the
British pound (the main unit of currency in Great Britain)? Crowns and
shillings aren't used any more. Here is a site that tells about the
changes made in British currency almost 30 years ago:

   http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/dec.html

This page tells more about the way it used to be:

   http://www.britishadventures.com/britmony.htm

There were 12 pence (pennies) in a shilling and 20 shillings in a
pound. A crown was 5 shillings, so there would be 4 crowns in a pound,
and 8 half-crowns in a pound.

The second queston is, what is the exchange rate between British pounds
and dollars? This can change from day to day, depending on how well
each country's economy is doing. One place I found that gives this
information on the Internet is the Universal Currency Converter:

   http://www.xe.net/currency/

As of December 31, 1998, one pound was 1.6628 American dollars.
This would make a shilling (if it still existed) equal to 1.6628 /
20 dollars, which works out to 8.314 cents. A crown would be 5 times
this, or 41.57 cents. A half-crown would be 20.785 cents.

Since crowns and shillings are really old units of currency, you might
want to know what the exchange rate was some time in the past. A pound
used to be worth quite a bit more. Here is a Web site with this
information:

   http://www.globalfindata.com/tbpound.htm

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement