Figuring Percentage of Increase

Date: 09/05/2001 at 10:41:15
From: Carmy
Subject: Percentages

I am looking for help on calculating the percentage of, say a
population increase.

In 1990, Allen County, Kansas, had 14,385 people. Now, in 2001, it
contains 14,905 people. How do I calculate the increase, using a
percentage?

Date: 09/05/2001 at 15:17:20
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Percentages

Hi Carmy,

The formula for percentage increase is

  new value - old value
  --------------------- * 100
       old value

For example, if something increases from 15 to 18, the percentage
increase is

  18 - 15          3
  ------- * 100 = -- * 100 = 0.2 * 100 = 20%
     15           15

Can you follow the same steps to solve your own problem?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 09/05/2001 at 20:25:13
From: (anonymous)

Thank you, I have now figured out the problems. Thank you again.
Carmy

Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions