The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Figuring Percentage of Increase

Date: 09/05/2001 at 10:41:15
From: Carmy
Subject: Percentages

I am looking for help on calculating the percentage of, say a 
population increase.

In 1990, Allen County, Kansas, had 14,385 people. Now, in 2001, it 
contains 14,905 people. How do I calculate the increase, using a 

Date: 09/05/2001 at 15:17:20
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Percentages

Hi Carmy,

The formula for percentage increase is

  new value - old value
  --------------------- * 100
       old value

For example, if something increases from 15 to 18, the percentage 
increase is 

  18 - 15          3
  ------- * 100 = -- * 100 = 0.2 * 100 = 20%
     15           15

Can you follow the same steps to solve your own problem? 

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum   

Date: 09/05/2001 at 20:25:13
From: (anonymous)
Subject: Re: Percentages

Thank you, I have now figured out the problems. Thank you again.
Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.