Finding Percentages

Date: 12/5/95 at 9:45:46
From: Anonymous
Subject: How to find percents

I want to know how to find percents of a number.  We have not
done this during class yet but I am going to take a test for entrance
exams to other schools.  I want to know before I do that.  They
always ask you about percents on the ERB's.

An example is how to find 13 percent of 29.

Date: 1/19/96 at 12:20:45
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: How to find percents

Hello,

Great Question.

The key to finding percents is to recognize that a percent is just a
different way to write a decimal.

So in your example, 13% of 29 is the same as asking for
.13 times 29.

It is as simple as that.

so .13 times 29 is 3.77

so here is another example.

40% of 300

that is just.  .4 times 300, which is  120.

Good luck on your exams.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions