Dividing Fractions

Date: 12/5/95 at 9:42:49
From: Anonymous
Subject: Pre-Algebra (Dividing fractions)

Tell me a shortcut on how to dividing fractions.

Date: 6/10/96 at 21:49:43
From: Doctor Jim
Subject: Re: Pre-Algebra (Dividing fractions)

The easiest way to divide fractions is not to divide but to multiply
by the reciprocal of the divisor.  Remember that the reciprocal is
just the fraction flipped over, so the reciprocal of 2/3 is 3/2.

Here is an example:

 (2/3) / (2/9) = (2/3) * (9/2) = (3/1) = 3

-Doctor Jim,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions