Profit and Percent Waste

Date: 6/13/96 at 2:15:33
From: Anonymous
Subject: Apple-seller's profit and percent waste

A fruit-seller buys 240 apples for $60. Some of these apples are bad
and get thrown away. He sells the remainder at 35 cents each thus
making a profit of $19.80. Calculate the percentage of the apples
that is thrown away.

Date: 6/13/96 at 21:4:12
From: Doctor Peter
Subject: Re:  Apple-seller's profit and percent waste

Our merchant would need to sell his apples for $60 plus $19.80 to make
the given profit.  So, he sold all of his apples for $79.80.  However,
to find the 'bad apples', we need to find the good ones (which were
the ones he sold).  Divide $79.80 by $0.35 to get 228 good apples.
Subtract 228 from 240 to get 12 bad apples.  You should be able to
calculate the percentage from here.

-Doctor Peter,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!

Associated Topics: