Adding and Subtracting Percents

Date: 6/28/96 at 10:34:34
From: John W. Pappas
Subject: Add and Subtract Percents

Hi Dr. Math,

I need a little help with general percents. Could you please explain
how to add and subtract them?

Sincerely,
         Whitney

Date: 6/28/96 at 13:43:38
From: Doctor Tracy
Subject: Re: Add and Subtract Percents

Whitney,

The most important thing to remember about percents is that percent
means out of a hundred.  For example, 16 percent means 16 out of a
hundred or 16 hundredths.  You can replace 16 percent by .16 or 16/100
which all mean 16 hundredths.

Now, if you know how to add and subtract fractions or decimals you can
add and subtract percents.  I hope this helps.

-Doctor Tracy,  The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions