The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Reducing Fractions

Date: 7/4/96 at 0:36:4
From: Anonymous
Subject: Reducing Fractions

Dear Dr. Math,

How do you reduce a fraction with a different denominator?

Date: 7/5/96 at 22:14:13
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Reducing Fractions

I am not sure exactly what you mean by reduce a fraction with a 
"different" denominator, but I can tell you how to reduce fractions in 
general.  Factor the numerator and the denominator into their prime 
factors and then divide the numerator and denominator by any factor 
they have in common (in other words, cancel like factors).

An example:  reduce 21/28.  This can be written (3)(7)/(2)(2)(7).  
The factor 7 is in both the numerator and the denominator.  You can 
cancel it out leaving (3)/(2)(2) or 3/4.  

I hope that this helps.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Factoring Numbers
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.