Reducing Fractions

Date: 7/4/96 at 0:36:4
From: Anonymous
Subject: Reducing Fractions

Dear Dr. Math,

How do you reduce a fraction with a different denominator?

Date: 7/5/96 at 22:14:13
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Reducing Fractions

I am not sure exactly what you mean by reduce a fraction with a
"different" denominator, but I can tell you how to reduce fractions in
general.  Factor the numerator and the denominator into their prime
factors and then divide the numerator and denominator by any factor
they have in common (in other words, cancel like factors).

An example:  reduce 21/28.  This can be written (3)(7)/(2)(2)(7).
The factor 7 is in both the numerator and the denominator.  You can
cancel it out leaving (3)/(2)(2) or 3/4.

I hope that this helps.

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

Middle School Factoring Numbers
Middle School Fractions