The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Proper and Improper Fractions, Mixed Numbers

Date: 8/19/96 at 21:45:42
From: Ryan Wooten
Subject: Proper and Improper Fractions

How do I make a proper fraction into an improper fraction?


Date: 8/30/96 at 15:12:30
From: Doctor Jim
Subject: Re: Proper and Improper Fractions

You can't.  By definition a proper fraction is written with the top 
number equal to or smaller than the bottom number, so a proper 
fraction can not be turned into an improper one.  

On the other hand, a mixed number, like 5 3/4, can be changed into an 
improper fraction by multiplying the bottom number and the whole 
number and then adding the top number, so 4*5+3 = 23 becomes the top 
number and 4 remains the bottom.  23/4 is the improper fraction.

-Doctor Jim,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!   
Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.