Proper and Improper Fractions, Mixed Numbers

Date: 8/19/96 at 21:45:42
From: Ryan Wooten
Subject: Proper and Improper Fractions

How do I make a proper fraction into an improper fraction?

Thanks!
   Ryan

Date: 8/30/96 at 15:12:30
From: Doctor Jim
Subject: Re: Proper and Improper Fractions

You can't.  By definition a proper fraction is written with the top
number equal to or smaller than the bottom number, so a proper
fraction can not be turned into an improper one.

On the other hand, a mixed number, like 5 3/4, can be changed into an
improper fraction by multiplying the bottom number and the whole
number and then adding the top number, so 4*5+3 = 23 becomes the top
number and 4 remains the bottom.  23/4 is the improper fraction.

-Doctor Jim,  The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions