Percentages as Fractions

Date: 8/25/96 at 18:58:44
From: Anonymous
Subject: Percentages as Fractions

Dear Dr. Math,

We would like to know the answer to the following problem:

57 percent of 93 = ?

Thanks for your help

Joe

Date: 8/30/96 at 13:44:6
From: Doctor Jerry

57% or 57 percent means 57 per hundred or 57/100.

57% is a traditional, widely used way of expressing the fraction 57/
100. If you wanted to calculate one third of 93, I expect you would
just multiply: (1/3) * 93, which is the same as 93/3, which is 31.
Same for 57% of 93.  Just multiply:

(57/100)*93 = 0.57*93 = 53.01

-Doctor Jerry,  The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions