Increase in Chicken Consumption

Date: 8/29/96 at 23:20:23
From: Anonymous
Subject: Chicken Consumption

In 1984 the average American ate 55.7 lbs. of chicken.  This was
2.8 lbs. more than the average in 1982.  What was the percent of
increase in chicken consumption from 1982 to 1984?

Date: 8/30/96 at 13:59:23
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Chicken Consumption

Hi there! The percent increase is how much something increased in
comparison to the original amount.

So if I sold something for $25 which I'd bought for $20, making a $5
profit, the percent increase in price would be

$5      1    25
---  =  -  = --- = 25 percent
$20     4    100

Does that make sense? Can you apply the same method to your problem?
Let us know if you need more help.

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions
Middle School Word Problems