Finding 465 Percent

Date: 9/14/96 at 14:36:16
From: Anonymous
Subject: Percent of a Number

What is 465 percent of 12? I have no idea where to start...

Date: 9/14/96 at 21:1:23
From: Doctor Robert
Subject: Re: Percent of a Number

Let me suggest this brief "dictionary" to translate the English into
math

   What...... x
   of ....... multiplied by
   %  ....... divided by 100

So, your problem "What is 465 percent of 12 becomes

   x = (465/100)(12)

   which gives x = 55

-Doctor Robert,  The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions