Finding a Common Denominator

Date: 02/21/2002 at 17:34:40
From: Victor
Subject: Fractions

Here is where I got stuck:

1. Find a common denominator for each pair of fractions.
    3/4, 5/8     3/4, 7/10     5/6, 3/5

2. Then write equivalent fractions using the common denominator for
   the pairs of fractions in the exercise above.

Can you help me?
Victor

Date: 02/22/2002 at 00:10:47
From: Doctor Twe
Subject: Re: Fractions

Hi Victor - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

One quick way to get a common denominator (though not always the
_lowest_ common denominator) is to multiply the two denominators
together.

For example, one common denominator for 5/6 and 3/10 is 6 * 10 = 60.
(Note that this is not the LCD; because 30 is also a common
denominator and is lower than 60, it is the LCD.)

To convert a fraction to an equivalent fraction with a different
denominator, you have to first ask yourself, "What do I need to
multiply my fraction's denominator by to get the new denominator?" For
example, to convert 5/6 to 60ths (in the form x/60), what do we need
to multiply 6 by to get 60?

      5
     ---   --- = ----
      6  *  ?     60

The answer for this example is 10.

      5
     ---   ---- = ----
      6  *  10     60

Now if we multiply the denominator by 10, we also have to multiply the
numerator by 10 to keep the value the same. (This is because
10/10 = 1, and when we multiply any value by 1, or 10/10, we get our
original value back.) So then we have:

      5  *  10     50
     ---   ---- = ----
      6  *  10     60

So 5/6 = 50/60.

We can do the same thing to convert 3/10 to 60ths. What number do we
need to multiply 10 by to get 60? (6, of course.)

       3
     ----   --- = ----
      10  *  6     60

So then we must also multiply the numerator by 6 to get our answer:

       3  *  6     18
     ----   --- = ----
      10  *  6     60

So our fractions, expressed with a common denominator, are 50/60 and
18/60. In this form, we can add or subtract them.

Did you notice that the number we multiplied the first numerator (5)
by was the second denominator (10), and the number we multiplied the
second numerator (3) by was the first denominator (6)? This was not a
coincidence. It was because we found our common denominator by
multiplying the two denominators together in the first place. This
leads us to a "shortcut" formula:

To convert a/b and c/d to a common denominator, we "cross multiply"
the numerators and multiply the denominators, to get:

     a*d         c*b
     b*d         b*d

Remember that this will not always get you the *lowest* common
denominator for the two fractions, but it will quickly get you *a*
common denominator.

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.com/dr.math/

Associated Topics: