Commissions

Date: 03/19/2002 at 18:52:11
From: Greg
Subject: Commissions

Mildred receives a 5% commission on her sales of exercise equipment
and a 6% commission on her sales of weight training equipment. One
month she sold $7900 worth of exercise equipment and made a total of
$650 in commissions. How much were here sales of weight training
equipment that month?

Date: 03/19/2002 at 23:23:15
From: Doctor Twe
Subject: Re: Commissions

Hi Greg - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

Break the problem down by asking the following questions:

1. How much commission did Mildred earn on her sales of exercise
   equipment? (Answer in dollars, not percentage.)

2. How much commission (dollars) did she therefore earn on her sales
   of weight training equipment?

3. How many dollars of weight training equipment must she sell to earn
   that much commission?

If you can answer those questions, you've found your answer.

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 03/20/2002 at 17:53:58
From: Greg

I already did that, but what is the answer?

Date: 03/20/2002 at 23:40:29
From: Doctor Twe

Hi Greg - thanks for writing back.

1. Did you get:

     $7,900 * 5% = $7,900 * .05 = $395

as Mildred's commission on her sales of exercise equipment?

2. And did you get:

     $650 - $395 = $255

as her commission on her sales of weight training equipment?

3. And then did you get:

       $255  =  X * .06

       $255     X * .06
       .06        .06

     $4,250  =  X

as the amount of sales of weight training equipment must she sell to
earn $255 commission?

If so, then you got the answer and don't need my help!

If you have any more questions or comments, write back again.

- Doctor TWE, The Math Forum

Middle School Fractions
Middle School Word Problems